Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.
(Psa 127:3)
This is probably one of my favorite verses in the Bible!  The older my children get, the more I see what a treasure they are!  They bring joy to each and every day - not because they are perfect but because they are mine :-)  That is why it saddens me to hear other mothers complain about their children.  It seems more often than not, "Christian" moms do nothing more than express what a burden and headache their children are.  This aught not to be!  God's word says that children are an heritage, which is defined as an inheritance.  Have you ever stopped to think about that?  Children are an inheritance passed on from our Heavenly Father to us!  They should be treasured as such.  
Perhaps it may help to consider that our children are products of OUR parenting.  If we do not like what we've created, the blame starts in the mirror. There are many things that I really wish that I could go back and do differently, because I can see that while my intentions were good, they were not the right choices in training our daughters.  

When God gives us a little gift from Heaven, He hands that bundle of joy to us with a nice clean book.  It's pages are white with absolutely no writing or markings on them at all.  Every experience, every word, every image that is recorded in your child's book it what YOU allow to be written.  That is a big part of why we chose to home school.  See, you can take that book and hand it over to the daycare worker or the babysitter or the school teacher, but it doesn't change the fact that God gave that precious child to you, his parent, and that is who will answer to the God of Heaven for what is recorded in its pages.  It's a very sobering thought.  

Treasure your children.  They are ours for such a short time and what you do with them today will matter for eternity.

The following was written by a lady on a message board that I visit and is quoted with permission.  She (like myself) suffers from Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, which among other things, causes infertility.  Here are a few things she expressed that she wishes she could say to others who may not be so appreciative of their heritage.

To anyone who has [several] children:

YOU ARE TRULY BLESSED! There are millions of women who would give anything in the world to be in your place. Every frustration and aggravation that your child provokes comes along with an infinite amount of unconditional love your child gives you. And it comes with the miracle of bearing your own child, and bringing your own child home and tucking your child in at night, and hearing your child call you mommy. And when you go on and on about how tough it is and how I do not understand, it only makes me feel worse and worse. Like you are a member of a club I can not break in to no matter how hard I try. I WANT to have your frustrations. I WANT to know how hard it is. I WANT to understand, but for reasons that do not make sense to me, I have not been able to. And it is NOT because I haven't tried...... It is NOT because I haven't taken medicine that makes me ill, gone to appointment after appointment for bloodwork and tests, or changed my entire diet giving up all of my favorite foods in hopes of altering my insulin levels... and it is NOT because I haven't prayed every single night for God to give me the gift of another child... you know, the same gift you are complaining about and going on and on about how I can't understand. So please, next time you start to vent, please consider how lucky you are and consider who you are venting too.

{edited for blog appropriateness}


© Adorning Grace 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please comment and let me know you've stopped by!